- All engines are 455's.
- All Have 344... Fisher body tags.
- If original front fenders are claimed, check the spacing between the two "4's" on the "442" emblems. The 4's should almost touch each other (very slight space, about 1/8") while the middle "4" and the "2" have a little larger space between them.
- If the fenders are original they will be flat on the inner edge where the hood sits. '71-'72 fenders have bumps every several inches or so. Both should have red inner fenders and two braces just behind them.
- If the car is a four speed, it should not have power brakes.
- For a 442 convertible only, it was based on the Supreme body style.
Few exterior changes except for a unique grille made of vertical black rectangles, fenders, rear quarters, trunk lid and both bumpers. The 400 was replaced by the 455. The W-31 option was continued in the F-85 and Cutlass S, these cars were easily identified by W-31 identification on the front fender striping. New option was offered on the F-85 and Cutlass S called the Rallye 350. The Rallye 350 used the 350cu in. 310 hp engine and came in Sebring Yellow with orange and black decal hood patches and side trim. A rear deck spoiler was available on the Rallye 350, 442 and W models. The 70-72 442 wings were fiberglass, not aluminum. The W-25 OAI fiberglass hood was optional for all Cutlass variations.
Model VIN Units Sports Coupe 344770 1688 Hardtop Coupe 344870 14709 Convertible 2933 Rallye 350 3547 Total 22877
Engine Specs:Base: 455cu in, 4-bbl Rochester, 10.50 CR, 365 hp@5000rpm, 500 ft/lbs torque@3200rpm
W-30: 455cu in, 4bbl-Rochester, 10.50 CR, 370 hp@5200rpm, 500 ft/lbs torque@3600rpm
W-31: 350cu in, 4-bbl Rochester, 10.50 CR, 325 hp@5400rpm, 360 ft/lbs torque@3600rpm
Rallye 350: 350cu in, 4-bbl Rochester, 10.25 CR, 310 hp@4800rpm, 390 ft/lbs torque@3200rpm
3 spd floor manual 4 spd floor manual wide ratio (M-20) 4 spd manual close ratio (M-21) 4 spd manual close ratio heavy duty (M-22) 3 spd auto* *Hurst Dual Gate Shifter in console was an available option in all bucket seat models
3spd 4spd WR 4spd CR Auto 365hp 3.23s,a 3.42s 2.56s engine 3.08o 2.78o 3.42o 3.08o 3.23o,a 3.42o 370hp 3.42s 3.42s engine 3.91o 3.23o,a 3.91o 325hp 3.91s 3.91s 3.91s 3.91s engine 3.42o 3.42o 3.42o 3.42o 310hp 3.08s 3.08s 3.42s 2.78s engine 2.78o 3.23o 3.91o 2.56o 3.23o 3.42o 3.08o 3.42o 3.23o 3.91o 3.42o 3.91o
s = standard o = optional a = std w/air cond
¼ mile time: email@example.com (Hot Rod mag., W-30 engine, automatic, 3.91 rear)
¼ mile time: firstname.lastname@example.org (Hot Rod mag., W-31 engine, automatic, 3.91 rear)
[ Thanks to www.442.com/oldsfaq/of442.htm#442 for this information ]